“Just baby step it; don’t think ‘Where do I need to be in 30 years,’ think about ‘where do I need to be in the next year or two to set myself up.'”
– Michael Bradley
Michael is the President & Owner of M3S Networking, a small business that focuses on dynamic problem-solving, particularly with startups and small businesses. He Started out at the Naval Academy, after which he served for seven years as a submarine officer. After his transition from the Navy, he spent two years working on a spy satellite job with the National Reconnaissance Office as an Acquisition/Project Officer. Michael is also the Chairman of the Navy Nuclear Power Officer Career Conference (NUPOCC), a career fair helping veterans transition from the military or find new jobs- those of you who have listened to Episode #55 with Ashley Snyder will remember this as the organization that she credited with landing a job at Google directly out of the Air Force. Finally, he’s a husband, dad of 3 boys and is a credentialed baseball media member.
The top three reasons to listen to today’s show are:
- Work / life balance – I don’t think this is talked about enough, but Michael does a really good job discussing how to factor this in to your career path & decision.
- Career fair – those of you who listened to Episode #55 with Ashley Snyder remember how she went directly from the Air Force to Google because she attended a veteran organized career fair… well Michael is the one who runs that career fair. It’s free, it helps a ton of vets… I’d go so far to say that NUPOCC is advantageous to veterans in a way that comes at Michael’s expense. Check it out – it’s really great and I know all of you listening on active duty or who have recently transitioned would benefit from it.
- Startups – Michael has started two different companies, and has great advice on starting small.
- NUPOCC – Arlington, VA & Pearl, HI, Bremerton. Events. Google, Palantir, Facebook, Blue Origin, JP Morgan (~20 companies). Grad Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford. High end candidates, high end companies and schools, high end venues. $2-3k table fee – get list of candidates & phone numbers
- Service academy career conference – https://sacc-jobfair.com/
- Related podcasts you may enjoy
- Ashley Snyder – Ashley went from the Air Force directly to Google, and attributes NUPOCC for playing a big role in that transition
- 1:58 – Michael’s background, from the Naval Academy and Submarines into starting his own company
- 3:00 – Michael’s experience a baseball media member; it may not generate a lot of money, but it gets him into Pittsburg Pirate games
- 5:29 – Michael’s decision to leave the Navy and how he approached this decision
- 7:30 – Michael’s experience in the Navy Reserves, and his advice on how to best take advantage of the IRR
- 10:38 – The highlights of Michael’s journey from leaving submarines until today
- 14:00 – Michael’s thoughts on work / life balance, and what advice he would give to fellow veterans
- 18:20 – An overview of the Navy Nuclear Propulsion Officer Career Conference (NUPOCC)
- 29:43 – Who can attend the NUPOCC conferences (hint: Michael will never turn a veteran away from an event, so contact him)
- 32:45 – A few common mistakes that Michael sees veterans make in the career transition to civilian life
- 41:30 – How Michael started M3S and advice he would give to other veterans seeking to work for themselves or create side income
- 46:00 – Michael’s final words of wisdom