This is a new type of episode, and I’d love any feedback on this approach. Usually, I interview military veterans about their civilian career. Today, instead, I’m going to dive into a specific skill I think would be helpful to veterans in their civilian career: Empathy. This has come up in many episodes as something that veterans have needed to develop to progress in their civilian career. A tool that I have found to be extremely helpful in my own life in building up empathy is something called: Non-Violent Communication (NVC).
In this episode we’ll talk about how to build empathy (just like a muscle), and how identifying feelings & needs can uncover strategies to meet more people’s needs (your team, your co-workers, your spouse, etc).
- StoryBox – People trust each other more than advertising. StoryBox provides the tools and supports businesses need to take the best things customers say about them, and use them to drive more sales and referrals. StoryBox offers a 10% discount to companies employing veterans of the US Armed Forces.
- Audible is offering one FREE audio book to Beyond the Uniform listeners. You can claim this offer here, and see a list of books recommended by my guests at BeyondTheUniform.io/books
- John Kinyon’s list of Feelings & Needs handout
- Other Skills Episodes
- Introduction to Non-Violent Communication – Compassionate Listening
- The Basics of Non Violent Communication 1.1 (you’ll have to get past a truly epic music rendition… push past it 🙂 )
- Marshall Rosenberg: The Purpose of Nonviolent Communication
- Sign up for John Kinyon’s newsletter – he has periodic online courses that are great
- Search for NVC groups in your local area